Adopting Animals From CHA
Our shelter has both dogs and cats available for adoption. In order to adopt an animal, an application must be filled out and a short interview is required to determine if the potential owner is a good match for the chosen pet.
Open: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 6:30 p.m.-8 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 1-4 p.m.
- Puppies (under 6 months) $140
- Dogs (6 months and older) $100
- Kittens (under 6 months) $100
- Cats (6 months and older) $70
What is included in these fees? First of all, a loving companion who will add to the quality of your life. In addition, all prices include:
- Cats & Kittens: First set of booster shots, rabies vaccine, FeLeuk test, flea treatment, spay or neuter, identification microchip, and a 5-lb. bag of Science Diet food
- Dogs & Puppies: First set of booster shots, bordatella vaccine, rabies vaccine, heartworm test, heartworm preventative, flea treatment, spay or neuter, identification microchip, and a 5-lb. bag of Science Diet Food
To get pre-approved to adopt an animal, you may email your completed application to Adopt@CHAAnimalShelter.org. You may also bring your application in with you at time of adoption. Thank you!
The PDF form can be filled out by anyone with Adobe Acrobat but it must be 'printed' to PDF to save it and/or email it. Here's the link to the free download page: http://www.primopdf.com/. Both applications can be printed off and printed by hand also. Thanks for considering adopting from CHA Animal Shelter.
What to bring when you plan to adopt a pet!
In addition to the pre-adoption interview, CHA requires that potential pet adopters provide proof of identity and certain other information. Please bring the following items with you.
- Valid driver's license or other government-issued photo identity card.
- Lease and any addendum that permit pets or a letter from your landlord stating your eligibility to adopt a pet and any restrictions on size or breed.
- Vaccination records of any current pets.
- Your entire family including any current dogs.
If you can't get to the shelter ...
Some of our cats are housed at the PetsMart stores at 1184 Polaris Parkway and 6010 Sawmill Road seven days a week. The store managers conduct adoptions based on CHA's policies and procedures. PetsMart's hours are 9 am- 9 pm Monday through Saturday, and 10 am - 6 pm on Sunday. Thanks to PetsMart for its assistance with this program, which provides more exposure for the animals and increases their chances of being adopted.
You can also find CHA around town with adoptable animals at our fundraising events or local community events. To find out where you can find CHA around town, check out our events page.
CHA has a foster program that allows volunteers to take in animals with special needs on a temporary basis. This program allows CHA pets to recover from medical conditions, grow to a healthy and adoptable age, or just get relief from the stress of the shelter in a caring environment. Foster homes provide extra love, attention, and exercise. Volunteering at the Shelter is a prerequisite to becoming a foster care provider.
The CHA Real Rooms are separate from the adoption room. They were set up as a place for cats and kittens that are having a difficult time adjusting to living in cages at the shelter. True to the name, the Real Rooms are set up like an actual room in a house and allow potential adopters to try and simulate how these cats and kittens would act in a home environment.